July26
Be Inspired
Be Sensible
Be Strong
Be Practical
Be Wise
Be Careful
Be Happy
Your happiness not only brightens your life but brightens the whole world.
I stayed awake til 3AM last night reading the book The Fifteen Streets by Catherine Cookson. It's about people who are poor. Here is a review of the book from amazon.com.
From Publishers Weekly
British readers have been familiar with this early novel by Cookson for five decades, but this reissue will please American fans who crave the late author's sudsy historical novels. John O'Brien, born in the Tyneside area of Northumberland called the "fifteen streets," is caught up in the vicious circle of poverty, drink and deeper poverty endured by the residents of this slum district. He works as a laborer on the docks, trying to add to the family's precarious finances, keep his mother and sisters safe from his drunken father and brutal brother and protect them from the religious violence that often roils the largely Irish Catholic neighborhood. John thinks only sporadically about a better life until a non-Catholic family moves nearby. The kindly Brackens, who preach spiritual healing, are feared and persecuted in the neighborhood, even by John's own family, but they persevere in their message of tolerance and intellectual empowerment, and open John's eyes to a different way of thinking and believing in God. At the same time, John meets his sister's beloved young teacher, Mary Llewellyn, who opens not only his eyes but his heart. Their love affair is scandalous, since Mary is the daughter of a prosperous shipbuilder. Slander, violence and death take their toll before the lovers tentatively plan a new life together. Cookson's strong and touching characterizations and atmospheric setting carry this narrative, which dramatizes the cruel legacies of religious bigotry and the rigid British class system.
Copyright 2002 Reed Business Information, Inc.
The story is very touching and gripping and sad. I've read it before but enjoyed it again. I gave it to Steffi to read. Anyhow, Steffi woke me up to let me know she was leaving for camp way before I was ready to wake up. Obviously it was not my morning to wake up early, so much for sleeping late all summer long. Nick stayed home and slept, too.
Steffi came home around noon, by then I had fed the dogs, fish, turtles, birds and Nick and not in that order. I usually feed the dogs first to get them out from underfoot. Steffi ate some rice and I had some Irish Oatmeal mixed with a little apple juice, yum.
Terry IMed me today but I was away from the computer, boo. He then called and Steffi interpreted. Not the same as hearing his voice or seeing his voice but nice to know he's okay especially after the sad news about his cousin Frank dying suddenly and very young. Terry's Mom emailed me today. My Dad IMed me. Sierra sent Steffi a birthday card through the snail mail, with no return address, 'Was it a letter bomb??' No it was a birthday card for Steffi, how sweet. Thanks Sierra. Sierra also IMed me today so now I fully believe that Trillian is set up properly and that adults can talk to me. Now if only I could spend more time on my computer....
The kids and I had fish and fries for dinner and then went to the park. Walking by the bayou was nice. It's really cloudy, I wonder if/hope it will rain. It is 11pm and the kids kicked me off the TV. Steffi and I were watching Law and Order, now they are watching cartoons.
Some doggie pix for Sierra
Nick's dog Shelley and my dog Penny

Terry's dog Susie winking, I think this is funny.

Steffi's dog Kookie

My dogs Midget and Penny and Terry's dog Susie playing

Jessica's dog Chrissy

Nick's dog Shelley and my dog Penny

Terry's dog Susie winking, I think this is funny.

Steffi's dog Kookie

My dogs Midget and Penny and Terry's dog Susie playing

Jessica's dog Chrissy

"Congratulations to Floyd Landis, young man from Pennsylvania, for winning the Tour de France. Floyd came back from being eight minutes behind. Despite that he needs hip replacement surgery. He still won. Here's my question, can the French even ride a bicycle anymore? We sent a guy who had cancer and he won seven times. We sent a guy who needs a new hip he won this time. Why are we making this trip anymore? We should call this thing the "Tour de Indiana." Make them come over here." --Jay Leno

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home